Monday, March 22, 2010

Land of potatoes, yum!

My time in Idaho has come to a close, although I definitely lived it up during this past visit. I had my own room in the campus hotel and loved having my own space. I'm pretty sure I threw all of my belongings all over the room. Packing back up sucked majorly.

My first night there the chapter was having a sleepover before initiation which I was able to join, and it was great to get some home cooked food and way too many sweets! As I had been traveling for more than half the day I passed out at 11:00pm MST which I was surprised I lasted that long considering I had been up since 5am EST. The girls stayed up until like 4:30am so thankfully I slept in the guest room!

For the second time I was lucky enough to join a chapter for initiation and Zeta Theta had such a love for ritual that it was so great to be able to join them for that special occasion. I don't think I've heard "Stately & Royal," sang so nicely and the new initiates really appreciated that I was there which was nice as well!

Pocatello is a gorgeous little town. I was glad it was snowing a bit when I got there because it sure makes the mountains that much prettier. The town is just surrounded by mountains, and I could see them from my hotel window which was really nice. I took a ton of pictures and by now have posted most of them to my Facebook albums.

Some of the fun things I was able to do while I was in town:
-Go to the Pillars, on top of a huge hill on campus where you can see all around to the mountains, so gorgeous. Wish I could have seen it at sunset!
-Donkey Basketball. Yes, a bball game where all players are on donkeys. It was ridiculously hilarious I got video & picture. An Idaho State tradition!
-Laser Tag...duh of course that was cool!
-Eat tater tots with "fry sauce" aka a mix of ketchup & mayo (and actually pretty good)

It was a great visit because the women made sure to do so many fun things with me and it was nice to feel like a person and not just someone there to hold meetings with them.

Another high point was that on Tuesday, on our way to Donkey Ball I decided to check voicemails from my personal phone which came through that day. I'm surprised I didn't jump at the 803 area code when I missed the call that morning. I received an official offer to be the Graduate Assistant for Student Activities & Union Programs at Columbia College! I'm super excited and will have such a great chance to get experience with both large and small schools from this GA. Also, I get free housing on campus and a meal plan: bonus!

So the flight to Denver from Salt Lake City was absolutely gorgeous as we flew over the Rocky Mountains. So much undeveloped land and just blankets of white. I love flying over mountains and it reminds me of those 3D globes where there are raised ridges to show where mountains are. It feels like you're flying over one of those maps and the mountains are just close enough to reach out and touch.

I've also discovered that I wish I had speakers on me that constantly played music. I feel like I always pick certain songs to listen to, especially on the plane, that are the soundtrack to my life at the current moment and I feel like they should play on cue like in a movie.

As I've still got another two hours before my next flight to Detroit I think I'm going to attempt to get some work done. Although I can get internet anywhere I'm excited that the Denver airport has free wi-fi so maybe I can also watch this week's episode of Real World that I missed!

Until Detroit,
xoxo Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment